“If he’s struggling now, what will his future look like?”
“She needs to open up to someone. I want that someone to be me.”
“He won’t listen to me anymore, and we argue.”
“I tell her the divorce isn’t her fault. But she’s angry.”
Teens want our input and need our limits, but the naturally uneven process of maturing, academic and social pressures, and adversity, like mental health issues or negative life events, causes chronic disconnection. Studies show that a strong emotional bond between parents and children is their best defense against risk issues and emotional distress. Without regular, active repair of this bond, teens can’t access the rich and unconditionally supportive love parents have for them.
Restoring Relationships Parent Consultation knows how painful and confusing anxiety, depression and other significant mental health needs can be to parent. You care deeply about getting your teen reliable and effective resources and treatment during this time. You need goal oriented, immediate, and simple help to re-create closeness and safety for a calmer home and a path to supporting teen’s success and positive contribution to society. You will learn, from a firmly grounded, research based approach:
- how mental health needs and developmental needs can be nurtured at the same time
- how to cultivate your teen’s natural, emerging competence and strong capabilities while living with a mental health diagnosis
- how to maintain safety boundaries that meet the needs of your family
- the difference between stress, emotions, and behavior
- what types of mental health support your teen needs during each stage of treatment and healing and where you can find them
How to get started.
If you’re feeling disconnected, frustrated, or scared about your relationship with your teenager, let’s find some time to talk about what’s going on. If you like what you hear, you have the option to meet with me in the office or online as often as you need. I know what you’re going through, and I’ve helped many parents facing similar problems. Try a 20-minute free consultation to see if I’m a good fit for you.