“If he’s struggling now, what will his future look like?”
“She needs to open up to someone. I want that someone to be me.”
“He won’t listen to me anymore, and we argue.”
“I tell her the divorce isn’t her fault. But she’s angry.”
Teens want our input and need our limits, but the naturally uneven process of maturing, academic and social pressures, and adversity, like mental health issues or negative life events, causes chronic disconnection. Studies show that a strong emotional bond between parents and children is their best defense against risk issues and emotional distress. Without regular, active repair of this bond, teens can’t access the rich and unconditionally supportive love parents have for them.
Restoring Relationships Parent Consultation is a resource for parents who are coming up against significant stress navigating conflict with their child. This is goal oriented, immediate, and strategic help to re-create closeness and safety for a calmer home and a path to supporting teen’s success and positive contribution to society. You will learn, from a firmly grounded, research based approach:
- how to act with kindness AND firmness when setting necessary limits
- maintain engagement with your teen while talking about stressful topics, like drugs and alcohol, dating, academics, and peer relationships
- how to cultivate your teen’s natural, emerging competence and strong capabilities
- create mutual respect as a tool for reducing arguments and power struggles
- recognize the difference between stress, emotions, and behavior
How to get started.
If you’re feeling disconnected, frustrated, or scared about your relationship with your teenager, let’s find some time to talk about what’s going on. If you like what you hear, you have the option to meet with me in the office or online as often as you need. I know what you’re going through, and I’ve helped many parents facing similar problems. Try a 20-minute free consultation to see if I’m a good fit for you.